Five Qualities to Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney
Being seriously injured or losing a loved one in an accident is devastating and overwhelming. If you or your family member has become disabled or can’t work as a result of someone else’s negligence, you might be thinking of talking to a personal injury lawyer and wondering if you have a case. You’ve seen billboards and television commercials where big name attorneys tell you they’re the ones who can get you biggest settlement. It can be difficult to cut through the clutter. Who you can trust to handle your case with compassion and integrity while fighting for the settlement you deserve? Choosing the right personal injury attorney from the start, before you talk to the insurance companies, will increase the chances that you get the outcome you’re hoping for. When you’re interviewing personal injury attorneys, look for the following qualities:
- Experienced. As you’re interviewing prospective attorneys, ask if they’ve represented clients in similar situations and what the outcomes of those cases were. Larger law firms might assign your case to a first-year associate. Make sure you’re talking to the attorney who will ultimately be handling your case. That person also needs to be well-versed in the laws of your area, as personal injury laws can vary from state to state.
- Communicative. Look for an attorney that will keep you informed on the status of your case. Settling a personal injury case is stressful. The last thing you need is the added anxiety of feeling that you need to constantly follow up with your attorney to learn the status of your case. Once you’ve chosen your personal injury attorney, you should feel at ease that they’re on top of your case and keeping you in the loop as it moves forward.
- Passionate. A truly great attorney treats their clients like family. While the larger firms might talk a great game on television, what you need when you’re hurt is someone who will call you by name and work as hard for you as they would for a member of their own family. Passionate attorneys win cases because they believe they’re working for what’s right, not just because they want to win.
- Trusted. The first step in evaluating an attorney is to see what their previous clients have to say. Look for testimonials from happy clients. Meet with your prospective personal injury attorney in person. Decide if you actually like them. You’ll be talking to this person a lot over the next few months so make sure it’s someone you feel comfortable talking to. Take advantage of free consultations to help you determine if the personal injury attorney you’re talking with is right for you.
- Supportive. Navigating the legal system can be stressful, especially during a personal injury case. You want a personal injury attorney who will be your advocate and help you navigate the complicated waters of negotiating with insurance companies. The ideal personal injury attorney will help support you during a difficult time while fighting for the settlement you deserve.